Happy 243rd birthday, America! Isn’t it wonderful to live in the greatest country in the world. We are blest. So, raise a glass, light a firecracker, start a barbeque and get this day underway. Enjoy. And here are a few tidbits to consider as you raise that glass…
- Americans will consume 150 million hotdogs on July 4th.
- The favorite sides for this day are potato salad and potato chips.
- American’s will spend $1.6 billion on beer for the day.
- Families will spend $100 on this holiday.
- 14,000 sites nationwide will send off fireworks.
- Macy’s fireworks cost $6 million with $1 billion spent nationally.
- Congress allowed fireworks as of July 4, 1777.
- There is no evidence to prove Betsy Ross designed the flag.
- The American flag on the moon is bleach white. After 40 years in that atmosphere who wouldn’t be?
- Flags on military uniforms glow in the dark.
- In 1958, Robert Heft from Ohio, designed a flag to include Alaska and Hawaii. He got a B-, later President Eisenhower converted it to an A.
- The final text of the Declaration was July 4th which is why we celebrate today, however, it wasn’t signed till August 2, 1776.
- Famous July 4th birthdays: Malia Obama, Ann Landers, (columnist), Neil Simon, (playwright), and President Calvin Coolidge.
So, stop reading, get out there, and enjoy the day. Happy 4th of July.