Not far from the hustle and bustle of Asheville and far up a mountain lies one of the few American Onsens. Onsens are hot springs and mainly used in Japan for public bathing. Here after much study and research the owners of this North Carolina spot have developed an Onsen among the mountain trees. Sitting in tubs filled with warm salt water my daughter and I soaked our cares away as we watched squirrels dash up and down trees.
So, what does one do prior to Onsen? Following are tips to Onsen Etiquette…
- Start with a shower.
- Bring your bathing suit and don it.
- Walk to the Onsen and pop in.
- Take a cold shower after 15 minutes in the Onsen.
- Continue to soak and shower as listed above for one hour.
- Then take a final warm shower and feel relaxed and rejuvenated!
Shoji Spa is close to Biltmore and all Asheville locations. It also has massage facilities. Call for appointment as it is a popular venue.
96 Avondale Heights Rd, Asheville, NC 28803