Woke early to rain so took the train into Porto which was a stones throw from my hotel. Ticket machines are easy to use and tickets reasonable. Before getting on train tap the ticket on the transponder device. Then upon train departure the tap the ticket again. There are many employees checking passenger tickets. I was stopped and checked.

Trains and stations are clean in Porto. No graffiti which was nice to see.

Once above ground I found myself in the historic area. Here is the “real train station,” with its 20,000 decorative hand painted blue tiles.

And a side view of the train station with a nearby church..

Inside of the church..

Due to the rain I purchased a Hop On Hop Off Bus ticket and learned of the City and places to visit. Worth the price.

Traveled to the sea which was wild..

Learned of Lovers Lane by the Sea….

And found tourist places to visit.

  • Cafe Majestic
  • Casa de Musica
  • Teleferico – aerial Gondola ride
  • Riberia – with its many shops and restaurants
  • Palacio Da Bolsa – Located in Riberia. This gentleman’s club, (which now has a 2 female members), was created for Port Wine Monarchy and paid for by their industry. It is a spectacular building with a marble staircase that took 40 years to build! The Hall of Nations has mosaics representing various countries. And the Arabian Hall remains the focal point of the Palacio. The Hall is used for meetings, classical music concerts, and weddings. Check it out…

Interesting fact.. The carpenters who built this Palace were Portuguese and had never been to an Arabian Palace.

  • Lello Bookstore or Livraria Lello and Irmao – a historic and fascinating bookstore not far from city center. For 5 euro one can visit and if you purchase a book the admission fee is used as a credit. Worth the visit.
  • Clergio Tower This landmark Tower opened in 1763 and is a dominant feature in the Porto landscape. Guided tours are given.
  • Porto Cathedral

Situated in historic Porto center the Cathedral looms over the City and walking to the top of the tower provides majestic views. There was a nominal fee to visit but well worth the price.

  • Real Compahnia Velha
Tawny Port – Sweet and Strong

And what would a visit to Porto be without a visit to a Port Winery? This tour recommended by the hotel was one of the best I have taken. The winery began in 1756 belonging to the then king and has been in operation since. Vineyards are 120 km away on the border of Spain and all grapes are harvested by hand. 90% of the grapes are smashed by hand and the remaining 10% by feet. The Port was phenomenal and I was grateful for packing light to accommodate my purchases.

  • Le Coliseu Porto Ageas – The Russian Ballet was in town both nights of my visit at Le Coliseu. The performance of Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty were beyond words. Prices were reasonable and check out this venue should you visit.

For me this concludes Porto, the second largest city in Portugal with 2.4 million helpful and friendly citizens. Visit and enjoy.

How could I have forgotten to mention the baked goods? Sublime.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s