This state park was created by Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s Civilian Conservation Corps, (CCC), in 1939. Currently, the Park is undergoing a renovation of the original structures from that era.
The Park is lovely in its views and hiking trails. It has several pavillons for picnics and the views of the New River Canyon are superb. Vast water power is available from this source.
In 1912, Chief Justice Thurgood Marshall visited the Park and because of this the Park is also known as Marshall’s Pillar.