Dr. Cardona began his career as an elementary school teacher in Meriden, Connecticut, after graduating from the Connecticut state college system. He has always been active in his community, and was appointed to Commissioner of Education for the State of Connecticut in 2019. During his tenure he is credited with many accomplishments:
- Covid 19 challenges and re-opening schools
- Promoting access for students tech support
- Learning devices for children in need
- Partnering with Yale University to provide free social and emotional support
- Programs for bilingual children
- Programs for children with sensory concerns
His career has been focused on partnerships with other education forums/schools, unions, school boards, and families. Instrumental in the Biden tuition forgiveness program he remains creative and forthright in his endeavors.