The architecture of this stroll is one that is rarely found in a few city blocks..,
First stop, the Cayuga County Court House Building.
This majestic building was first built as a frame building in 1809, however, the present building was erected in 1836. From 1922-1924 it was reconstructed. Unable to visit the interior, one can only imagine its grandeur.
Across the street the Postal Building..
And sharing the block, the Episcopal Church of St. Peter and John.
Fun Fact: Red doors on an Episcopal Church signify the church is paid for, mortgage free.
Pomeroy and William Seward were brothers-in-law and owned adjacent homes on Owasco Lake, one of the New York State Finger Lakes. Both men were lawyers, and close friends of Harriet Tubman. She cared for the Pomeroy children. At Pomeroy’s death it is stated on the Pomeroy Park signage only Harriet’s flowers and note were buried with him in his casket.
This library was left by Willard Case, the father of Theodore Case, who invented the “talkies.” Willard’s wealth was acquired through the development of the Oswego Starch Factory, and through subsequent wise investing.
Sad to read this prominent Women’s Rights organizers home was razed, but as with many of these home termites often ate through wood structures. This also occurred in Flagler’s Home in St. Augustine, Florida.
The War of 1812 was a 3 year conflict between Britain and the United States. The reason for the War was left over concerns from the revolution regarding maritime and trade issues as well as expansionist concerns. It is viewed as largely a political war.
This is the Cayuga County Art and History Museum. It was formerly the Willard Case Residence. While currently closed. it will re-open in March. To learn more of this home check out the following website,
A House Through History: A Brief History of the Willard-Case Mansion
Besides the County Museum artifacts, the Case Research lab is here, as well as a carriage house movie theater.
Look forward to this tour come March 2023.
Next: Fort Hill Cemetery.