Jesus returned to the temple to continue his preaching. It was during his preaching on this day that he predicted his own death. Later he returned to Bethany where he found his mother and devoted friends.
It’s the Super Pink Moon and this morning I captured it. It’s the moon’s largest and brightest version of itself. And though not pink since it is traveling closer to the Earth it appears so. As this viewing occurs around the time of Phlox subulata, a pink wildflower native to eastern North America, it hails the name.
Yesterday while at Dollar Tree purchasing essential items a fat, bald, white man in his late 30’s was loudly speaking to another customer. He stated the President did nothing wrong with the corona virus situation, the virus is a hoax, and why do we need these ventilators?
While I should have said something I knew his response would be ugly and feared for my personal safety. Tired from a 12 hour nursing shift I lacked the strength to debate his ignorance. As I watched him leave getting into his oversized, battered truck I felt nothing.
Many who have this attitude will be taken.
Be wise, practice social distancing, stay at home, wash your hands, avoid sick people.
On this day during Holy Week Jesus returned to Jerusalem from Bethany where he had slept the night before. He arrived to cleanse the Temple which had been used for greed and commercialism. He began to teach the blind and lame in attendance, later the children followed.
Wow! This week has gone by fast. And who thought all this lying around looking at television with nothing to do would go slow??? However, while watching the boob tube are you munching away???? Here’s some ideas on low cal somewhat nutritious munchies.
Stock the frig with the following items:
- Low calorie jello – with a dab of cool whip 30 calories.
- Popcorn – no butter, air popped.
- Fruit – still has calories but no fat.
- Water with a splash of fruit juice. Drink lots of water.
- Vegetables – keep bags of carrots, cut up celery.
- If you must have chips read the labels and go for the brand that gives the most bang for your buck – meaning the one who gives the greatest amount for the least calories.
- Ice cream in small cups – 100 calories and if you must have more McDonald’s ice cream cones are 130 calories.
- Suck on ice.
- Distract yourself. Get up and take a walk – being socially distant of course.
- Call a friend. Get a buddy support group going. It’s easier to loose weight if you have a buddy. They keep you honest.
The Notebook Method
This week I tried something in an effort to get those last 10 pounds off and it is working. Bought a notebook and write down everything I eat before I eat it. For snackers or pickers it’s amazing to see how those calories add up when you eat this way. Remember: To make it work write it down.
And while tracking calories I added a column for money spent. Isn’t it funny how those columns are linked? Stress eating.
Well, hope I’ve given you some food for thought. Ugh! I can hear the groans now.
Next week: U Tube Music
Just got off the phone with my daughter. As an event planner who works with film and music festivals all her gigs have been cancelled for the next 6 months. She has taken a job as a cashier in an Austin, Texas liquor store. Texas is a work to rule state meaning workers have no rights, however, she is grateful for her $11. hour, non-benefit job.
The store is supplying hand sanitizer and gloves but there is no plastic protection between the client and herself. At all 7-11’s, bodegas, and gas stations in most parts of the country this protection has been implemented to protect their workers.
As our conversation continued she mentioned the wealthy, older male customers who leer at her, ask her for a date, and offer lewd comments while getting much too close. One can tell they are wealthy by the clothing, cars, and color of their charge card as they buy hundreds of dollars of booze. This store is located in an extremely affluent Austin neighborhood.
Asking her female manager who has worked for the company for 10 years for this protection has fallen on deaf ears. The manager has asked her bosses, however, the ask has fallen on deaf ears. What if she gets corona from these vile customers? Who will pay for the medical bills?
And to this liquor store chain, man up and stand up for your workers.
Today is Palm Sunday. It is a Christian feast day and marks the entrance of Jesus into Jerusalem when palm branches were placed in his path.
Arriving on donkey this commemorates his entry into Jerusalem as King of Peace.
While tragic consider these..
- Anxiously gazing out the window for an Amazon delivery of…. toilet paper…
- A Brit demonstrating on UTube the new face mask – a thong, then watching her apply it to her 80 year old mother’s face.
- Watching virus plagued Chris Cuomo interviewed by CNN’s Dr. Gupta. The phone rings. He doesn’t take the call saying, “Oh, it’s only Andrew. Gosh, he’ll be pissed.” Brotherly love.
- Barack Obama finally breaking his silence. Please return to us. We need you. Would you consider the Vice Presidency??
- Sylvia Browne’s book in 2012 described this pandemic. She also said our sitting President in 2020 will die in office. Yes, but not too soon. Pence is worse than what we got.
- A 7 year old getting 6000 shower caps from local hotels/motels to give to hospital workers for face masks. They work.
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg continues to exercise. Keep strong, Ruthie. We need you. I’d take the bullet and the virus for you.
More for your enjoyment..
Pierre Auguste Renoir
New York Pavements.. Hopper grew up an hour north of New York City, in Nyack, New York. For Hopper fans this is a must see with a homegrown museum and much of the town reproduced in his work.
Roman Bronze Works, 1921
Enjoy the visit..
Let’s continue our tour with some Americana..
The Hudson River School of Painting The Angel Appearing to the Shepherds by Thomas Cole. If ever visiting upstate New York check out the Thomas Cole home and Olana, the home of Frederick Church, another Hudson River School painter.
Winslow Homer – who could ever forget these scenes of American life?
The Shakers – a part of this time line in Americana.
20th Century Americana
Mary Cassatt, The Family. Considered an American painter she was born in Pennsylvania and spent most of her life in France. She was part of the impressionism movement.
Frederick Childe Hassam – another noted American impressionist painter.
And a bit of the modern despite my disdain..
Tomorrow: Some French and Picasso works.